In 1877 several cottages were built on Rue Balguerie uphill from St Peter’s Church. In 1878, this cottage came into the hands of Charlotte Stratton, the wife of the town’s postmaster. The cottage became for a time the Stratton family’s home.
It is a typical gabled cottage. The roof is of a shallower pitch at the rear than at the front, which gives space for a rear kitchen without a separate lean-to. In front there is an elegant concave verandah. A central door is flanked by double-hung windows, which was usual for cottages of this vintage.
The cottage has remained a private dwelling.