Main Categories | Advanced Search
Dwellings
THE POPLARS
Paired verandah posts, French doors and other interesting features give character to this larger home, parts of which date back to the 1860s.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
THE WAECKERLE BRIDGES
Two bridges on Rue Lavaud, built in 1879, still the town’s main road traffic over small streams.
>>more information
 
 
Dwellings
THE WATKINS HOUSE
An association with a prominent early Akaroa settler, Dr Daniel Watkins, gives this Carpenter Gothic house historical interest.
>>more information
 
 
Dwellings
THE WIDOW MUNNS’ HOUSE
This house is of similar age to its neighbours but, as the home of a widow, is a smaller, humbler building.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
THE ‘BRITOMART’ CANNON
An historic cannon is a feature of the small reserve on the Akaroa waterfront named after the vessel that brought the British authorities south to Akaroa in 1840.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
TOWN CEMETERIES
Akaroa’s three cemeteries – for different denominations – are picturesquely situated on a wooded spur running down towards the sea.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
TOWN WHARF
This wharf has served Akaroa as its main landing place since 1888.
>>more information
 
 
Public Buildings
TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Akaroa’s Presbyterian Church is a restrained example of the Gothic Revival style executed in timber.
>>more information
 
 
Commercial Buildings
TURENNE DAIRY
Akaroa’s oldest surviving hotel building has been a shop since the early 20th century.
>>more information
 
 
Dwellings
VILLA, 110 RUE JOLIE
This is a bay villa of the era after Akaroa had graduated from the simple cottages of its pioneering days.
>>more information