Main Categories | Advanced Search
Public Buildings
ST PATRICK’S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Its appealing tapered tower and unusual coxcomb bargeboards give St Patrick’s Church a slightly exotic air.
>>more information
 
 
Public Buildings
ST PETER’S ANGLICAN CHURCH
Two architects had a hand in designing a Gothic Revival church for Akaroa’s Anglicans which stands proud on an elevated site.
>>more information
 
 
Dwellings
STAPLES COTTAGE
This 1877 cottage was the home of a prominent early resident of Akaroa.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
TAKAPUNEKE
A horrifying event at a bay just south of Akaroa in 1830 contributed to the British decision to acquire sovereignty over New Zealand, after a treaty had been signed with Maori.
>>more information
 
 
Public Buildings
THE BOATSHED
This waterfront building testifies to the popularity of the waters of Akaroa Harbour for recreational boating.
>>more information
 
 
Commercial Buildings
THE CHEMIST SHOP
This building has housed Akaroa’s chemist’s shop from the time it was first built in the early 1880s.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
THE FISHERMEN’S REST
A small shelter on the waterfront is a reminder that many fishing boats once worked out of Akaroa.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
THE FRENCH CEMETERY
A concrete wall now surrounds a central memorial on the site of Akaroa’s first cemetery.
>>more information
 
 
Dwellings
THE MAPLES
Italianate rather than Gothic, this late Victorian villa provides a contrast with the smaller cottages that are more typical of Akaroa’s early domestic architecture.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
THE ORION POWERHOUSE GALLERY
In 1911, Akaroa became one of the first towns in Canterbury to have a supply of electricity when a small hydro power station was commissioned.
>>more information