Main Categories | Advanced Search
Public Buildings
FORMER POLICE STATION
This simple Edwardian building was once the office and lock-up of Akaroa’s police station.
>>more information
 
 
Public Buildings
FORMER POST OFFICE
Residents have come to Akaroa’s former post office for more than 90 years to post letters, attend to business and seek information.
>>more information
 
 
Public Buildings
FORMER ROMAN CATHOLIC CONVENT
One of a cluster of buildings associated with the Roman Catholic Church, the former Convent is now part of a retirement home.
>>more information
 
 
Commercial Buildings
FORMER VANGIONI STORE
This handsome shop building has an intriguing association with a famous Akaroa resident, Pompey the penguin.
>>more information
 
 
Public Buildings
FORMER WEIGHBRIDGE BUILDING
This building, now a shop, housed a weighbridge at a time most goods still arrived in Akaroa by sea.
>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
FRENCH LANDING SITE
Memorials stand on the foreshore where the French settlers who founded Akaroa came ashore in August 1840.
>>more information
 
 
Public Buildings
GAIETY THEATRE
An imposing Italianate hall that was originally a Lodge has been one of Akaroa’s main gathering places for more than a century.
>>more information
 
 
Dwellings
GLENCARRIG
This house, one of Akaroa’s oldest surviving dwellings, is one of the town’s most important buildings, architecturally and historically.
>>more information
 
 
Commercial Buildings
GRAND HOTEL
Akaroa is mostly a town of “timber and tin”. The Grand Hotel is one of Akaroa’s few older masonry buildings.

>>more information
 
 
Structures and Sites
GREEN’S POINT MONUMENT
A stone obelisk marks where a flag was raised in August 1840 to demonstrate to the French settlers that the South Island was already British.
>>more information