In 1904, William Glynan purchased land which George Raven had bought from William Aylmer in 1876. A cottage (see 10 Percy Street) stood on one of the sections of this land. On another of the sections, Glynan built this substantial square villa. He then sold the original cottage.
Glynan, the son of an Irish immigrant who had farmed at Onuku near Akaroa, was married but had no children. He nevertheless built himself and his wife a house which was substantial compared to Akaroa’s older cottages. The house has the hipped roof and bracketed eaves typical of square villas of the early 20th century. Also typical of such houses is the central front door flanked by double-hung windows. The generous verandah has cast-iron embellishments.
Later in its life, the house became a boarding house and suffered some alterations, but it remains an excellent example of an important style of house built throughout New Zealand in the early 20th century.