When the Rev. William Aylmer subdivided part of his 50 acres (20 hectares) of land in 1876, George Raven purchased a total of three sections. He probably built this cottage on one of the sections immediately after buying the land. Although he ran into financial difficulties and had to sell up, the cottage remained Raven’s home for many years.
The cottage has a steeply pitched roof which continues over the verandah. The upstairs rooms are still lit by the original small windows in the gable ends. At the rear, the roof changes pitch not far below the ridgeline to give more height to the back rooms.
From 1907 until 1958, the cottage was owned by a member of the Kotlowski family. In the 1930s shutters were added to the front windows and a bay window built at one end, but these alterations did not seriously compromise the cottage’s original character.