The oldest parts of this house were probably built in 1862, soon after the land had been bought by James Roberts, who worked in Akaroa as an engineer. In 1881, the house became the home of William Henry Henning, who was the agent in Akaroa for the Union Steam Ship Company (see the Shipping Office). In recent years it has been a holiday home.
It was probably extended at different times through the years, but has kept its authentic colonial character. A number of interesting features include the paired verandah posts and the change of the pitch of the roof over the verandah. Dormer windows and a small window in the gable end light the attic floor. French doors open onto the verandah.
The house takes its name from a row of tall poplar trees which have long since been felled but are prominent in early photographs of this end of Akaroa.