Click here to return  <<previous | next>>  


The only survivor of four similar cottages built in 1877, this is a good example of the simplicity of New Zealand’s colonial domestic architecture.

Category: Dwellings
Date: 1877
Street Address: 10 Rue Lavaud
HPT registered? Yes
District Plan Listed? Yes

In 1877, soon after he took over the Grand Hotel from his father-in-law, Robert Bayley built four cottages next to the hotel. Two were on the section’s street frontage and two towards its rear. The cottages were owned by Caroline Bayley (Robert’s wife) until 1919.

The surviving cottage is a single-storey dwelling with the simple form typical of many colonial dwellings. The gable-ended roof has a longer slope at the rear which extends over a low-ceilinged kitchen. The front verandah has a curved roof. The rusticated weatherboard on the front wall is embellished with wooden quoin blocks, a feature borrowed from stone construction. On the sides the weatherboard is lapped, the more common style of weatherboarding in New Zealand.

The cottage has undergone some modifications through the years but has retained features that mark it out as an early building.


Click here to return  <<previous | next>>