The bridge which carries Rue Jolie over Aylmer Stream was opened in 1878 by the mayor of the new Akaroa Borough. It replaced an earlier (probably wooden) bridge which had been known as Farr’s bridge. (S.C. Farr, an early Akaroa settler who became a prominent Christchurch architect, owned land in the area.) The Akaroa Borough and County Councils had taken over some of the responsibilities of the Canterbury Provincial Government after the Provincial system of government was abolished in 1876. The Borough Council at once set about improving roads within the borough’s boundary.
This was one of the earliest of several bridges built in Akaroa over the decade or so following the abolition of the Provincial Government. It is an arch bridge, built of stone and brick and with an unusual brick balustrade.