The first jetty built on the foreshore near the bottom of Rue Balguerie was the French jetty, which apparently stood a little north of today’s Daly’s Wharf.
Daly’s Wharf appears to have been built between 1863 and 1865. A subscription for a wharf on the site was raised in 1863 and the base of a wharf in this location appears in a photograph taken in 1865. This was just a little after a wharf had been built at the foot of Church Street at the other end of town (see Town Wharf).
Daly’s Wharf was extensively refurbished in 1913 and re-opened in 1914. Daly was a merchant who ran a store near the base of the wharf in its early years. He was a brother-in-law of a more prominent citizen of Akaroa, George Armstrong.
Though it was never the town’s main wharf, it continued in use through the 20th century by coastal ships and fishing boats and, more recently, by tourist boat services. After the 1913-14 rebuilding, the wharf had a shed with a mono-pitch roof at its end. Exactly when the present shed at the wharf’s end, with its attractive conical roof, replaced the earlier shed is uncertain.