Daniel Watkins, an early Akaroa doctor and registrar of births, deaths and marriages, owned a large block of land on both sides of Rue Jolie and leased sections to different people on condition they built houses on them. This house was built by one of his own sons, Stephen, in 1876. Dr Watkins lived in the house with Stephen and his family until his death in 1882.
From 1889 until 1973 the house, like others in the row in which it stands, was owned by the Narbey family, prominent in Peninsula history. The house has had only one owner from 1973 until 2007.
This house is in the same Carpenter Gothic style as its neighbour and near contemporary (see La Belle Villa), but is more frugally decorated. The dormers on this house have been added in recent years but are in character.