Members of the Kerridge family ran a stables and coaching business on this site in the 19th century. The Akaroa Mail reported in June 1877 that a new livery, stables and infirmary had been built by the Kerridges. The cottage is possibly one of the buildings erected at that time.
Much later, in the second half of the 20th century, it was for a time the home of Kobi Bosshard, a Swiss jeweller who was one of the first of a new generation of artist-craftspeople to settle in Akaroa. Though it was converted to a garden café in 1999, it still looks like a dwelling. The prominent, central triangular dormer, which is almost a cross gable, is a common feature of Banks Peninsula cottages.
Largely unaltered (despite its change of use) and still in a garden setting, this cottage epitomises the very best of Akaroa’s domestic architecture. The value of land in Akaroa is making it increasingly difficult to retain the garden settings of its early cottages.