Click here to return  <<previous | next>>  


The simplified Italianate style of this imposing building was favoured for commercial premises throughout New Zealand from the 1870s.

Category: Commercial Buildings
Date: 1903
Street Address: 73 Beach Road
HPT registered? No
District Plan Listed? Yes


This handsome building has been occupied for many years by the Akaroa Supply Store.

On part of its site there was an earlier building which was smaller but in a similar style. In 1903, T.E. Taylor, one of Akaroa’s most active businessmen who had a furniture warehouse in a building on the corner of Beach Road and Church Street (which has been demolished) bought the property, with partners. Taylor also ran an aerated water factory on Church Street and used the Gaiety Theatre (see Gaiety Theatre) to show movies.

After buying the building next to his furniture warehouse, Taylor extended it to the north, doubling its size while retaining its style and form. He established a drapery business in the extended building. The grocery and hardware business known as the Akaroa Supply Store has occupied the southern half of the building for many years. In the 1970s a coffee lounge was established in the northern half. This later became a restaurant.

The building is a fine example of the simplified Italianate style used for wooden commercial buildings throughout New Zealand in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It has the shallow-pitched roof, bracketed eaves and windows with bracketed hoods typical of the style.


Click here to return  <<previous | next>>